Yesterday was Singapore's 42nd National Day. For the National Day celebrations each year, there will be a theme song for the nation. For those of you who know me, I am never one who is patriotic and willing to die for my country. I am proud of Singapore and what it has achieved today but I do complain about being in Singapore; the rat race, the stress, the hot weather and all.
But yet, this year's theme song does struck a chord in my heart. I am not claiming to be a globetrotter - I have not been to Cairo and Bombay and have not crossed River Kwai but in a way, through my travels and the opportunities I had to spend extended periods of time overseas, I am glad that I call Singapore home. I am proud of my red Singapore passport. I feel a sense of belonging whenever I got off the plane and walked through Singapore Changi Airport immigration controls.
I don't come from a rich family; my folks work hard all their lives and yet we never have to starve. We have a roof over our heads. We feel safe. We have jobs. We do not have to give up our house due to flooding. We do not have to run for the bomb shelters. We did not lose our limbs to landmines.
I have friends that I made overseas and whom I still keep in regular contact. But it is the family and friends here in Singapore that grew up with me and who will hopefully grow old with me. It is in Singapore where I feel safe to go home alone at 4am in the morning. It is in Singapore where memories of my childhood and the good times I had spent with family and friends are.
Singapore is not perfect; but I am thankful that I call Singapore home.
There's No Place I'd Rather Be
I've walked the streets of Cairo and Bombay
I've seen the neon signs on ole Broadway
I've climbed the Eiffel Tower,
The Great Wall in one hour,
Experience sweet and sour but that's okay.
Seen Hollywood, the sunsets in LA.
The London Bridge, Big Ben, the Thames, UK
I've crossed the River Kwai
Yet still I don't know why
I think of you each night and everyday.
There's no place I'd rather be
You'll always be a part of me
And even though I've roamed the world
It's still my home I long to see.
This is where my family
And my friends grew up with me
So I'll cross the skies and sail the seas
To be where I wanna be.
Cos there's no place I'd rather be.
Friday, August 10, 2007
Singapore's 42nd National Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment