
It all started with The Hubby suggesting that we signed up for the 1/2 marathon. Now, for those of you who knew me from 9 years ago, you would have remembered what happened in 1999 after the Gold Coast Marathon. I felt pain 1/2 way through the marathon but I was so determined to complete it that I crossed the finishing line with a hairline crack on my hip bone. I had to serve time on crutches after that, followed by physiotheraphy sessions. I have not ran in another marathon (10 km, 1/2 or otherwise) since.
I readily agreed to sign up for it with The Hubby coz I wanted to encourage him to pick up running. However, deep in my heart, I was a bit apprehensive....in fact, I was very apprehensive/worried/scared (whatever other words there are) that I would end up on crutches again after this run.
All these years, I have been running on and off, as and when my work schedule allows me to as part of a normal exercise regime. However, those runs were like 30 mins in duration @ maximum. I started running more regularly in Sept. Work was insane as it was budget period during Sept-Nov period. I was also juggling 2 jobs and there was the travelling to contend with! Sometimes I even had to run near midnight! There were times when I just wanted to give up and lead a "normal" life!
Anyways, on Dec 2nd, we woke up at 3am and had bread for breakfast. We left the house at 430am. We had originally planned to park @ ORQ but it seems that there were some miscommunication & the building was not accessible afterall. So we ended up parking at Suntec City (after going to and fro on the ECP 3 times) at 530am. I was starting to get anxious in the car coz I didnt want to miss the start of the race.
The 1/2 marathon was flagged off at 615am. It took me a lot of courage to step up to the starting line. I was worried about history repeating itself. I had two goals for this run: I don't want to end up on crutches @ the end of it and it'll be a bonus if I can do a under-2 hours timing.
It was quite nice to be running with all those people around you. I didn't realise that I had missed the feeling...the feeling that you are not doing it alone. It was quite fun! The weather was nice early in the morning and I was enjoying it.
There were supposed to be distance markers @ every km. After the 16th one, I didn't see the markers anymore. So I was jus trodding along....until I realised that the finishing line was quite near. I sprinted to the finishing line with tons of energy left to spare (started sprinting too late :P), and slightly more than 2 hours. The Hubby completed it under 3 hours; I am happie for him coz that was his target.
Completing this 1/2 marathon pain-free has allowed me to cross my own internal fear about running the distance. It is not a long distance but I ran a good race and am happie! :) On my way home, I looked @ the full marathoners still running the race. I have frens running the full one and am so proud of them. I had been there before; it is really painful. Somewhere deep in my heart, I wished I was running with them too. Mabbe, just mabbe... I will have the courage to go for the full marathon again....sometime.....soon.....
The Hubby preparing the night before
Shoes ready with Champion Chip
Timing on my watch when I crossed the finishing line (It's more than 2 hours and I blamed the lack of distance markers towards the end coz I started sprinting too late! Hee!)
Both of us @ the Finish
The 1/2 marathon finishers medal
1 comment:
Hey... glad to see u completed the half marathon, very proud of u.:p So shall hear from u this year participate the full marathon or if not can consider run the SunDown Marathon 2008 on 31st May start run at midnite.. it's new n sound interesting yah..:p
Post a Comment