Friday, January 02, 2009

MR25 UltraMarathon 2008 - 52.5km

The MR25 UltraMarathon is organised by the MacRitchie Runners every year. The race route is a 10.5km loop in MacRitchie Reservoir and one needs to complete a minimum of 5 loops to be "certified" as having completed the ultramaraton. One is given 12 hours from 7am - 7pm to run as many loops as one desires.
I was initially relectant to do this race because I hate running slopes; and the trail terrain in MacRitchie makes it very challenging with a high risk of injuries. But I decided to do it after tons of encouragement from my running friends and also an a wrap-up of running in 2008!
Max was kind enough to pace me throughout the race. When we were doing the 4th loop, we were contemplating doing 6 loops in total. But I fell and landed flat on all fours @ the 50km mark which kinda affected my momentum. Also, I was starving by then and Popeye Chicken was calling out to me. Haha! So we completed the 5 loops (with tons of energy left to spare, as usual) and headed off to makan!
All in all, it was a great experience and I am glad that I did it! :)

Group picture of Team Fatbirds before the start Me with my pacer Max before the start Both of us along the route Me inside the MacRitchie trail Both of us along the SICC golf course portion of the route Max & me at one of the water points - forgot which loop it is...
That's me @ the end of 52.5km! :) David, Me & Max

3 comments:

Ryan said...

isn't 52.5 kilometers like a hundred miles in american? you are a wild and crazy runner jane chia. i would be very happy just to run a marathon, much less a marathon plus 10km - congrats on finishing!

AQ said...

where's the husband?

AQ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.