Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Non-Chinese surname cooler?

ALL my girlfrens who married Chinese retained their maiden surname. So they still go by the same name that they had been using since birth before they got married. Nothing's changed.

ALL my girlfrens who married non-Chinese immediately changed their surname to their hubby's after they got married. So you have someone from Lim Ah Girl becoming Ah Girl Ramage; or you have Monica Tay becoming Monica Hewitt; or Lisa Yeo becoming Lisa Graham.

I am just generalising things here - please dont get offended. I know there are girls out there who married non-Chinese who did not change their surnames upon marriage.

I wonder what made them do that. Why is it that mostly those who married non-Chinese do that? Is it becoz a non-Chinese surname sounds cooler? Makes them feel different? Makes them feel superior? Why are they willing to be called differently from their siblings and daddy?

I have always been proud of my surname; I know its just a surname but I would never change it for anything else, by marriage or otherwise. It is the thing that kinda defines who I am, that kinda connects me to my family, my ancestors, my roots.....

I remember that when I was a small girl, I love my surname alot coz it made me feel different. Thats coz I am usually the only person in the whole class who would have my surname - so I actually felt special; cant blame me, am just a small innocent girl then....kekekeke. As I grew up, I met and knew more and more people with the same surname as mine. But somehow, that doesnt really matter to me.

What's in a name....in this case, a surname?

No comments: