Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Battle

I felt weird beginning of last week. I felt as if a flu and cough was coming on. I mean I was not totally sick sick per se but you know, you can feel it in your body.
The regular doctor that I went to near my office was on 2 weeks' leave and I did not want to see the locum. So I went to another clinic near my office which I have been to before.
Two things pissed me off regarding this doctor's visit:
1. The clinic lost me medical records! They could not find my card! I have been to that clinic many times and even did a full body health screening there. So what happened to my medical records? Aren't medical records supposed to be sensitive and confidential?!?!
The receptionist was like "It's OK, I can always issue you a new card". I was like "No, that is not the point about getting a card. The point is - what happened to my medical records?!?!".

2. Again the doctor whom I normally see at this clinic was out on a conference that day (it seems that the whole medical world is against me!). So I saw another doctor in the same clinic. I have not seen him before and he saw my "new" card and was looking at me suspiciously. He thinks that all I wanted was a medical certificate so that I do not need to go back to work. (For the record, he did not give me one).
So he gave me some useless medication and kept saying that I need a lot of rest (Again, note that he did not give me a medical certificate to cover me for a day to go home to rest).

Meanwhile, I have been boiling and drinking ginger water and keeping myself warm whenever I can.

It is now 3 days to the marathon and I am still fighting the battle with the virus. Some days are good, some days are bad. I am all wrapped up in the office as if it is winter in Singapore; the centralised air con in the office makes me feel worse. I feel much better when I am at home without the air con.

I am determined to run the marathon and to complete it. Now the big question is whether I will feel well enough on race day to get the timing that I want. Keep me in your prayers.

No comments: