Wednesday, December 30, 2009

42.195km in 3 hours 52 minutes

Where running is concerned, I started year 2009 with the goal to better my marathon timing from the 4:26 that I achieved @ the Singapore StanChart Marathon last year: I wanted to do a sub-4 marathon.
After what I would say, much hurdles, illnesses, obstacles and a sprained ankle, I achieved my goal on 1 November 2009 at the JoongAng Marathon in Seoul, South Korea. When I passed the finishing line, I had tears at the brim of my eyes - all those early 5am morning training runs, the long weekend runs, the restrictions on diet, restrictions on wardrobe (I stopped wearing high heels :P) - it was for that priceless awesome feeling of crossing the finishing line under 4 hours. I won't trade that feeling for anything in the world :)

@ the race-pack collection centre My trusty Asics GT2140 This pair of legs are gonna bring me over 42.195km today... This was at the baggage area before the start of the race - it was freezing cold!! Me along the route Me inside the JoongAng Olympics Stadium about 50m from the finishing line!
Me stretching & drinking my recovery energy drink @the rest/baggage area after the run Me on the way to subway after the race. Background are the supporters looking out for runners running into the JoongAng Olympics Stadium where the finishing point is. The distance recorded by Garmin actually shows 42.43km - I may not have been running the tangents! 5:29 mins/km with average heart rate of 166 bpm. The Finisher's Medal :)

1 comment:

Ryan said...

congrats! your marathon time is faster than mine :)