Monday, June 19, 2006

Jogging

A lot of my friends do not understand the passion I have for jogging. In the first place, I dunno whether can it be considered a passion or not; coz mabbe it could be because I am scared to put on weight. And in order to support my horrendous eating habits of 10 meals a day with meals consisting of chocolates, potato chips, ice cream etc etc; I have to exercise to burn off some of the calories so that I wont have to throw out my entire wardrobe every 3 months!

Its a simple equation isnt it (or so they say)? If input more than output = you put on weight. If input less than output = you lose weight. If input equals output = you stay the same. Sounds simple enough but life does not always work out this way.

The thing I like about jogging is that you only need a pair of good jogging shoes (Of cosh, it does help up the glam factor if you have a pair of stylish jogging shoes). You dont need any other equipment such as a racket, a club, a bat etc. You put on your shoes, step out of the house and off you go.

The thing I like about jogging is that you can do it alone. You dont have to arrange your schedules with your partners and find a time when everyone can make it. You can do it as and when you like; as and when you are available. (Although I must say that sometimes running with a friend does motivate you). Jogging alone gives me some "me" time as well. I love thinking about stuff on my runs, about anything under the sun. Some of the important decisions in my life were made while I was jogging!

The thing I like about jogging is that it does not require much skills. You dont have to worry about your swing, your backhand, your smashes. You only have to concentrate on putting one feet infront of the other and to swing your arms accordingly (and for some people, to sway the butt at the same time!).

The thing I like about jogging is that you can do it anywhere, well....almost anywhere. I always make an effort to bring my jogging shoes with me even when I am travelling for holiday or for work. If the country is safe enough, I will jog outdoors, else I will hit the gym. I have ran in hot summers, cold winters, dry weather, wet weather.

I only got into jogging when I was studying in NTU. I was living in the hostel then and on those nights during the exam periods when stress levels hit the roof, some frens and I will put on our jogging shoes and sweat out the stress. Then I got into longer distance running. With the encouragement of good fren/running kaki Dan, I completed my first Singapore marathon with tears streaming down my face at the finishing line. I then went on to run a couple more marathons.

I used to have a jogging kaki in my brother before he decided to focus on gymnastics. I still try to jog with my girlfren Been who stays in the same housing estate. These jogging times provide opportunities to catch up with each other. Sometimes, I jog with The Hubby but our jogging styles are so different. Dan and I still meet up for jogs now and then.

It is tough to set aside time to jog. There is always work, family, Coffee, frens, dinner plans, weekend plans, shopping plans and so on. But jogging is something that I really enjoy and I would want to jog for as long as I can. It is a cheap weight loss/maintenance tool as well. :)

3 comments:

leumas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
felicia said...

Did you decided to marry your hubby while you were jogging? :D

Loved jogging too.. After my 3 kids, I continue to jog.. INDOOR.. chasing the kids with a cane in my hand.. *giggles*

With Kristel, cannot jog.. must RUN!! ^_^

OTH said...

some people get raped while jogging alone!