You know how when you apply for a new job or to do a MBA at a good university - the application form will ask you for references. What I do not understand is why do potential employers or education institutions bother to conduct reference checks at all?
Think about it. Will you ask your worst enemy to be your reference? Will you ask someone who hates your guts to be your reference? Will you ask someone stupid to be your reference?
No. You would ask someone who:
- would give you a glowing testimony of how good you are and how smart you are;
- speaks well and speaks convincingly;
- would not find fault with you;
- is your good fren outside of work.
So if you ask someone who fulfills the above criteria to be your reference, what are the chances of that person speaking bad of you? So whats the point of conducting reference checks then? I dont understand.
Anyways, I have been references for a number of people and everytime I get called, I only have good things to say about these people. And all of these people have gotten the jobs they wanted. And that leaves me - who will be my references?
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Reference checks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
wa.. they really check de ah?? i thot jus put there show show only..
reference check probably to be assured that this applicant indeed at least have 2 people who are willing to speak up for them ba. I believe there are ppl out there having difficulties in finding 2 reliable frens who will say good things for them ba.
Anyway thanks for being my reference too. Hopefully next time is job find me so I dun hv to put references again. Otherwise, hmm...probably ur name will appear again...heehee :P
Hey! I thought the name is really there for show only.
Anyway, I agreed with what ranzi said; they just wanna c if u have some kind of life out of work ;)
Hmm... that reminded me... I better start getting on good terms with the cleaning uncles and aunties so I can put them as reference next time =D
Post a Comment